Choose your language

 
 
OUR NEWSLETTER







 Gross Plasten Castle
 Wellness & Spa
 Culinary Pleasure
 Packages
 Events & Meetings




The story of the castle


A document proves the first mention of Groß Plasten as a location on September 8th, 1284. In 1790, the first owner of Groß Plasten castle is mentioned to be Regierungsrat (i.e. a highly placed member of the administration) von Normann. He is supposed to have constructed the main building in 1751. Around 1800 the premises become the property of lieutenant von Saldern. In 1850 the owner of Ihlenfeld castle near Neubrandenburg, Amtshauptmann Friedrich Heinrich Christian von Michael, purchases the castle of Groß Plasten to leave it to his heir, Dr. jur. Friedrich von Michael.



The interior decoration is definitively a must-see, particularly the marvelous carvings and sculptures. The cross with the carved Jesus Christ is awarded a prize at the Paris World exhibition in 1900.

The couple’s love of art and design also reflects inside the castle, as the wonderful, classic interior as well as the exceptionally precious art treasures reveal at first glance. But Groß Plasten castle was inexorably facing hard times. The heir to the property, Friedrich-August von Michael, becomes a soldier in World War 2 and gets into Soviet captivity.



Dr. Friedrich von Michael marries Else Haniel, daughter of industrial magnate Julius Haniel. Thus he has not only chosen a rich wife but also one with a passion for construction. It is thanks to this liaison that the original property is being enlarged by a transverse building with a large open terrace overlooking the lake and the adjacent park.

But not only the beautiful small castle is being completed in neo-baroque style. Public facilities such as a school and working class housing are established, too. Another treasure well-worth mentioning is the nearby chapel which has been built in renaissance style within a construction period of two years.

It is 29 April 1945. The castle serves as a German military hospital, accommodation for the Soviet occupiers and as a refugee camp. In 1949, Major Friedrich August von Michael returns from captivity. Meanwhile his castles Ihlenfeld and Groß Plasten have been socialized.

The property is lost.

Between 1951 and 1991, Groß Plasten castle is used as an institution of education in the field of agriculture. It houses not only school and boarding school but also a community center including a medical practitioner, a library and other facilities.



 

In April 1994 Mr. and Mrs. Walloschke purchase Groß Plasten castle from the community. The premises are in a wretched condition. A lack of maintenance and three years of vacancy have taken their toll. After one year of reconstruction involving a lot of love and personal commitment, Groß Plasten castle shines in new splendor. On 1st July 1995 Groß Plasten castle celebrates its Grand Opening as a hotel.

In the spring of 2003 the castle is renovated and extended again.



 

In 2010 the castle has been landscaped  with a more appealing parkway and our famous 100% biological herb garden. Emerging of this, our clients benefit from a modern and healthy food concept. 

Today the castle is being referred to a pearl of the Mecklenburg Lakes region.